Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Oyster love - how to eat them

Finally, we arrive at that magic moment, with a platter of oysters standing in front of you. I don’t have to worry about opening them, because at our place it’s my husband who opens them. I know that he uses a special oyster knife and a folded cloth to protect his hand and that it takes a while…. Oysters should be alive when you eat them and shut firmly when you touch them.

Back to the platter. First I admire the beauty of the scene and then I tip my head slightly to inhale the nice, salty smell. It looks like I am just enjoying the aroma, which I am, but I also do this to check that they are alright! The smell should be fresh and salty, nothing else. Once you have tasted oysters you’ll understand what I mean. Then I take my lemon and carefully add a couple of drops on each oyster. The lemon is a seasoning, but I also check that each oyster reacts to the acid with a tiny movement. You observe this easiest close to the borders. Maybe I seem a little bit paranoid, but after all the stories I heard about people being sick after eating bad oysters, I do what I can to ensure that my oysters are in perfect health. Until I gulp them down that is.

Now I pick up my oyster and with a special fork I tear at the muscle that keeps the oyster attached to its shell. A knife or an ordinary fork works too, no worries. And then, hop, down it goes! You can also drink it down from the shell… looks very professional!

Lemon is a classic seasoning for oysters, but I actually prefer shallot vinegar… in a restaurant most places serve it as an option. At home, it is very easy to make yourself, check here for a recipe for shallot vinegar and two more sauces. It also contains a description of how to open them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
ban nha mat pho ha noi bán nhà mặt phố hà nội