Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Eat your soup!

Pack of ready made soup
Yesterday, since it was her birthday, I asked Clara what she wanted to have for dinner. I want soup, she said. This might sound a bit strange, but if I tell you I usually serve crêpes or waffles as dessert with the soup, maybe you understand her choice. This time I even made some whipped cream to go with the crêpes and the strawberry jam.... This is a classic win-win situation. I get them to eat vegetable soup, the children get crêpes and everybody is very happy.

Onion soup has always been French onion soup to me. I still remember my first onion soup with that slice of bread on top and lots of melted cheese. Yummy! I still love onion soup. But it took me a while to realise that Frenchmen eat a lot of soup. You don't see it at once, because it is a family thing. Like my husband's family. When he was a child, they would have a vegetable soup for starters every day!

Waffles with jam and whipped cream

Maybe the soup eating habit is declining..my husband says it's more a thing of the generation of his parents... but when you enter a French supermarket, you will be astonished by the variety of readymade soup in packs of 1 litre, like the ones on the photo.  Of course a home made soup is better, but I always keep a couple of ready made soups at home, for those days when cooking need to be faster than fast....

Link to a recipe for French onion soup.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
ban nha mat pho ha noi bán nhà mặt phố hà nội